Sunday, May 10, 2009

Gratitude, Brothers Quay, Jenny Owen Youngs

Hello all--

After realizing how many ridiculously fantastic people are out there on the Internet (perhaps more than I quite knew were in the world), it seems more important to keep in touch with strangers. Hopefully, May is being kind to all of you. May and I have been struggling; it's been a rough patch, but having friends to see me through is wonderful. I'm grateful to you and looking forward to meeting those of you in person who I've only met through text so far.

Boston is finally warming up. The other day I went to the Coolidge Theatre for part of the Coolidge Award festivities--this year the Brothers Quay received the award, so we got to watch their short films and commercials and then there was a Q&A. I hadn't seen their Eurydice retelling, one of their more recent pieces, but it was lovely and haunting but in a less cute-creepy way than most of their work. 

I interviewed Jenny Owen Youngs after that for VenusZine.com. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in an interview. She's hilarious and genuine, and I hope she gets to be super-famous and spoiled rotten by the world. Today I'll hopefully be writing that up, turning in grades, and copyediting a few more pages of the next Big Shot. Hopefully I'll work on some fiction while there's still natural light. I mean the sun, not the beer. But I would drink Natural Light while working on fiction. I'm not sure what it would do to the stories, but I've had worse influences.

xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment